The apostle Paul wrote in Galatians 3:28 - "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus
." Paul here emphasizes that although there are physical differences between us, Christians should share a special unity in Jesus. Although we may differ in race, gender, education, social status, abilities, and resources, we all stand on equal ground at the foot of the cross. A poor woman from Saudi Arabia who has little education or money is just as precious in God's eyes as a wealthy, highly educated, Christian, American male. There is unity and equality in Christ (although such does not override the divinely ordained roles that God has given specifically to men and women; cf. I Tim. 2:8ff)!
Let's consider some other passages to elaborate upon our unity in Christ:
- We have the same Lord (Rom. 10:12 - "For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him").
- We are redeemed by the same blood (Eph. 1:7 - "In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace").
- We obeyed the same gospel (Rom. 1:16 - "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek").
- We were added to the same church (Acts 2:41,47 - "Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them...And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved").
- We are heirs of the same promises (Acts 2:39 - "For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call").
- We are united in the same head (Col. 1:18 - "And He is the head of the body, the church who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence").
- We worship the same God (John 4:24 - "God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth").
- We all have the same Father (Eph. 4:6 - "One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all").
- We hope for the same heavenly home (John 14:1-3 - "Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also").
My fellow Christians, may we always rejoice in the special oneness we enjoy in Christ. Let us seek to be united and of one mindset in all things, perfectly joined together as a family should be (cf. I Cor. 1:10).