WHAT'S A CHRISTIAN MOTHER TO DO ALL DAY?
Let's say that you are a Christian mother and you choose to send your children to school or perhaps they are grown up and living on their own. In other words, you are home alone--so what now? Stare at the walls? Right about now comes the temptation to go out and get a job, but there are so many higher and nobler causes that a woman can pursue than to get a job and serve money.
Here are 37 things a homemaker can do. Can you think of more?
- Read the Bible for one hour a day. Do you read the Bible everyday now? At this rate you can read through the Bible several times a year. Mary "sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word" (Luke 10:39).
- Pray for an hour each day. Do you pray everyday now? Consult your church bulletin for a prayer list, names of members, etc. (or make your own list). Peter and John went up to the Temple at "the hour of prayer" in Acts 3:1. Anna "served God with fastings and prayers night and day" (Luke 2:37). Jesus asked, "What! Could you not watch with me one hour?" in Matthew 26:40. David said, "Evening and morning and at noon, I will pray, and cry aloud, and He shall hear my voice" (Psa. 55:17). Daniel "knelt down on his knees three times that day, and prayed and gave thanks before his God, as was his custom since early days" (Dan. 6:10). Ladies, while you are praying everyday, beg God to bless your working husband, to bless your efforts as a homemaker, and to meet all your needs. You will be amazed at what God will do.
- Jeremiah 33:3 - "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."
- Matthew 6:33 - "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
- Philippians 4:19 - "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
- Psalm 37:25 - "I have been young, and now am old; yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his descendants begging bread."
- Fast one day a week. Do you fast often? Jesus said, "When you fast..." in Matthew 6:16, not "If you fast..." Anna "served God with fastings" (Luke 2:37). "Do not deprive one another [from sexual intimacy], except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control" (I Cor. 7:5).
- Memorize Scriptures. Do you memorize Scriptures now? "Your word have I hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You" (Psa. 119:11). Entire chapters could be memorized and prove beneficial to all aspects of your Christian life if you'll do a little each day.
- Go out soul-winning one or two times a week with a partner for three hours at a time. Do you go out soul-winning now? "And many of the Samaritans of that city believed on Him for the saying of the woman" (John 4:39). It is feasible that God could use you to reach many souls. Remember: One soul is worth more than all the money you could earn in the world (Mark 8:36; cf. Job 27:8).
- Meet at church with other ladies once a week for a prayer meeting or Bible study. Do you attend prayer meetings or ladies' studies right now? "These all continued with one accord in prayer and supplication, with the women" (Acts 1:14).
- Prepare creative and exciting devotionals for your children. Do you have devotionals with your children daily? "When I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother Lois, and your mother Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also" (II Tim. 1:5). "And that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" (II Tim. 3:15).
We will complete this list of 37 items and conclude this series in our next lesson.